Friday, November 4, 2016

Names

Today, at work I had to look up a woman's account - this requires having them input their social security number into a pinpad. I requested she provided it at the pinpad and her daughter asked what that number was, it's interesting the chain reaction this question triggered in my mind.

Initially, I begun thinking about how a social security number was a number assigned to each person when they were born and it proves that you are who you say you are. Following this primary thought was a thought about how names are just a word assigned to us at birth to let people know what we are called.

A noise. Your name is just a noise people make to symbolize you. Which really started leading me to some super ancient Chinese secret type shit where I began asking myself "who am I?".

Typically I could just go with the classic "I'm Umar." - but given the previous claims I don't think that will suffice. This is an incredible question because it really breaks the mindset of the generation I'm lumped into, the mindset being self-entitled. To take an exoteric look at oneself, and provide an explanation beyond titles.

I am a son, I am a brother, a cousin, a grandson, and any other male family title. Still stuck on titles.

I am the lessons that I have received.
I am able to create, and I am able to destroy.
I am full of fear, frustration, inquisition, and joy.
Time is the one that leaves me most decieved.

Too cheesy, poetry has too serious of a tone.

Okay I got it:

Each point in time is made up of an endless history of dichotomy. If you honestly take any one point in time, you can root it back to a tree of decisions. Here, I will even draw for you.



Now, if you look at the picture you can see everything is a yes/no question. There might be some relatively complex decisions you make in life but you can always root it back with yes/no questions like this. Life is an interesting dichotomy itself, and no matter how much you argue I will never settle to agree that life is more complex than a massive series of yes/no reactions from an individual. Makes story telling a lot more shitty for me to try and appreciate. So back to "who am I?"

I am the result of countless yes/no questions starting from the moment I was born, I would be a different person if a single one of these dichotomy's presented to me had been reacted to differently. For some I would be a drastically different person, and for some I would essentially be the same.

I am the boy that fails to see himself as a man, not for lack of confidence or pride issues, but because of my fear of time. I am a boy that often finds himself feeling alone, but doesn't want to let anyone close enough to get rid of that feeling because of his fear of feeling alone again. I am a boy that stayed inside and drew a dichotomous key about eating a sandwich instead of going out with friends on a friday night. I am me.

1 comment:

  1. Life feels random a lot to me. And while answering yes or no to a random question could potentially impact my life significantly I think you are right that how you answer consistently over time conveys who you are. Listen to your heart, follow the vibes, trust yourself and eventually others who earn it. The decisions you make not only tell you who you are but also tell others who you are. We get to know you and love you through this process. The decisions we make whether small or large, whether quick or slow and pensive express your values, morals, and unique combination of traits. Thanks for writing and I'm sorry I'm just now finally seeing it.

    ReplyDelete